He sleeps! That wonderful thought occurred to me a few weeks in. For the last year and a half, Owen has stayed up waaay past his bedtime. We'd put him to bed between 7:30 and 8. After Asher dropped off to sleep he would settle in with a book and eventually we'd make him put it away. We wouldn't hear a peep for hours, and then he'd pop upstairs wide awake, declare himself scared or thirsty and put up a royal fight to getting back down in his bed. It was exhausting every single night.
It seemed that no matter what the consequences were, he wouldn't go to sleep on his own. The only thing that put him to sleep is if one of us laid down with him until he fell asleep. I'm especially tired by the time they get to bed, and I just want a little peace. What I don't want is to lay in bed for 30 minutes waiting for Owen to drift off. But if we skipped that step, we would pay.
On nights that we have small group here, he was up later. It's like his brain can NOT TURN OFF. Our friends would leave around 9 and then he would stay up negotiating everything from a 2nd dinner to sleeping on the couch, carrying on, talking, arguing...not even settled down until 10. Then the sleep negotiations began.
A few weeks ago I realized that he goes to bed immediately now. Like we say goodnight and don't hear another peep out of him. It's so odd! I'm still not used to it. And on small group nights, we can still put him to bed and he goes right to sleep. It's not related to sickness or growth or anything else that I can tell. The only change is he's not in school. I really think he's just more peaceful. I like to think that his mind is not so hyped up and conflicted. It's been weeks and it's holding true.
Kind of amazing.
2 weeks ago
1 comment:
what a dear little boy . . .
Post a Comment