Tonight, laying in Asher's bed:
"You need to make your body be still now."
"But I just have so many pwoblems...my shirt isn't (pulled straight) down... my bottom itches, not having any sneezes....(he picks his nose)...and I gotta pick my nose (pause, pause, pause) ....It's picked now. OK."
Whew. Glad we got that out of the way.
******************************************************
Owen was so sweet tonight. He and I were sitting at the dinner table (Asher refusing to put down the Wii remote and come to dinner; me racking up the amount of chores he was about to do after dinner) and he started telling me about his new assigned seats. He now sits next to Sydney. "Sydney doesn't have anyone to play with at recess." We talked about why and how he could be a good friend to her. "I just didn't play with anyone after awhile- I was just on the swings by myself." His tone is light and sweet. I asked why. "Johnny likes Cole better than me."
(Screeech) (Hold the phone)
(Under control now) "What makes you think that?"
"Well, Johnny (the kid I referenced in the last post) is just kinda mean."
So, naturally, I started talking about how smart Owen is for picking his friends well, and how sometimes you just don't get along with everyone. Even as an adult.
"I thought about being lonely with Sydney on the swings..." I wasn't sure what that meant, but I told him you could be alone and happy, you don't have to always be alone and sad. Sometimes alone is good, to think and talk to God and look around...something that may not come naturally to this verbose and social boy.
And with that the exchange was over. Except when he got near me again I hugged him for a long time and told him what a good friend he is, and if he feels like he needs a friend, we can pray for a good friend together. And he hugged me back for awhile.
******************************************************
After last night we needed a sweet moment. Last night was awful. Me, with no compassion for his fear of spiders, acquiescing to him sleeping in his brother's bed, absorbed in my own activities until finally shouting them into bed at 9:35 for the LAST TIME. Him, arguing, getting out of bed, asking, stalling, talking, playing. Wearing me down until I snapped and truly lost my noodle. Tired and guilty, I put myself to sleep soon after. Then this evening, an email from the teacher. Owen's struggling with being talkative this week, even after a lot of reminders. Have I noticed any changes?
Nope. Just lack of sleep, being scared of spiders, dad out of town, water heater busted, showering at the relatives, new basketball-practice-jitters, mom just started a new job, figuring out who to be friends with in the 1st grade.... no changes. Just lots of pwoblems.
2 weeks ago
1 comment:
Oh my - can't believe I missed your post for so long. Those dear dear boys. That is the saddest picture on Earth, "lonely on the swings". The swings is where the lonely people go, apparently. Poor guy. Part of me would want to know everything that is going on in school, the other part would rather not because I'd want to go down to school right away and fix evertyhing . . .
Post a Comment