Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What I Did Today

Sometimes I have to write down what I actually did during the day. Sometimes because my day and the boys' antics are so unbelievable or funny. But sometimes because at the end of the day, I often have this general sense of dread or dissatisfaction with the job I did that day. Mostly when I completely lost it with the kids. So sometimes I need to write down what actually happened so I can "take stock," and look at the truth instead of letting a general feeling overtake me - one that is usually based on nothing.

So here are some of today's highlights, for your reading pleasure:

I woke up in a hotel room and had coffee and breakfast with the family. I love that.

Watched Owen slide down the water slide approx 563 times, and doggie paddle his way to the side.

Actually swam with the kids, even though it was freezing. I did not sit on the side of the pool like most of the other parents. I got in. (Can you tell I'm annoyed?)

Negotiated my way out of spending my last $5 in cash on video games. Spent $3 instead.

Ate at McDonalds. Again.

Comforted Asher when he sprayed hair spray in his eyes.

Hit a home run talking with Owen about lying, and got the confession out of him. Reached the heart. Score.

Encouraged him not to do what the older kids do. Even backed it up with a Bible verse (1 Tim 4:12). Double score.

Considered ironing the sheets. Only because a guest is coming who actually does that.

Went for a bike ride. Let them stop to throw rocks and climb trees.

Read books.

Told them I would tuck them in again after my show was over. Felt guilty for that one.

Had absolutely no sympathy for the "I'm scared of spiders" routine at bedtime.

Collapsed. I hope the good outweighs the bad today. I think it does.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Sounds like a good day to me :) What show did you have to watch (and do I "have to" be watching it too?). Always love a good recap for our reading pleasure.