Thursday, August 06, 2009

Birthday Recap

I've been told I need a birthday post. Pictures would be great, if I had them, but I need Aaron in order to work the camera. Sad, sad, sad.

The birthdays will never be repeated in the same way again. And now that I've written those words, I can be held to them next year.

Somehow I decided to have AP, Owen and Asher's party on the same day. I did Aaron and Owen together last year, and it went so well! So, let's repeat and add Asher's too, I thought. Except. Our friends with their 3 boys decided to come into town to attend. And we decided to invite our neighbors who the kids have become better friends with. Four more. And now we have several church friends, who we've never invited before. And on and on.

When I sent out the evite, quite a few people were going to miss out, and I was disappointed. But as it turns out, 21 children is just a fine number and I really should not have been worried. Twenty one. Mostly boys. Thankfully I baked a cake covered in candy and had a big batch of spiked punch available for the rest of us.

Throw in that my husband was in charge of the obstacle course, and came up with such a masterful, long, professional obstacle course, the likes of which has never been seen, and well, you have quite a party.

Madness. Noise. Running. Scared little girls hiding in corners. Boys being hit in the eye with baseball bats. Pinatas breaking on the 3rd try and big kids hogging all the candy. Crying children. People running for the exits the moment the event was over.

And then...breathing room. Space. Calm. Everyone was gone. Just in time for the adults to really unwind with their adult friends. Except (insert sound of screeching record here)....they were all scared away by the kids.

Oh well. Better luck next year. Who wants to meet me a Chuck E Cheese?

3 comments:

My Four Lovelies said...

I am so sorry we missed the fun and games. There is always next year and Chuck E Cheese is delightful!

Anonymous said...

I've taken to the habit of checking your blog 4 times a day... I'm enjoying the recap ;)

mimi said...

great fun! wouldn't have been the same without madness, noise and running...