Monday, June 25, 2012

Brain Freeze

We pulled into church at 9:10 am.  The service started in 5 minutes so we were sort of early, but it would take every second to get everyone to their classes.  Suddenly Owen put down his book and snapped to attention.  "Uh, mom....I don't have any shoes!"  "Actually... I don't either," piped up Asher.

Really?  I understood that since Owen likes to keep a closet in the back seat, he assumed there were shoes back there.  Asher's reasoning I can't really explain, except that he's often out to lunch, leaving shoes in weird places, losing shoes, toys, etc.  But still, how do BOTH my boys leave the house without shoes?  Do I really need to remind them that in this country we wear shoes in public?
 
My options- take my kids to church barefoot, which my church would actually tolerate.  I would get some laughs.  My kids usually check their shoes at the door of kids church anyways. But on principal alone (and a touch of southern manners), I kept driving, right through the parking lot and towards home.  I didn't say much, I just turned the sermon I was listening to back on.  Fittingly, it was about parenting. That probably saved their bums.

Let's see, what else do I need to say as we leave the house?  Are you wearing underwear?  Definitely need to check that.  Do you have shoes on?  Is your clothing clean?  Are you carrying any weaponry?  Are there any dead animals in your pocket?  I need to write this down.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Dead animals? I can picture that one .. . EW!