Owen is such a good boy. He has such an active mind and a definite sense of what he wants and likes and doesn't like. And he likes attention (NEEDS attention actually). That's all causing a bit of a problem lately, considering: a) I'm pregnant and tired, and b) it's the end of the school year and he's a bit squirrely. He's also recently shown a tricky, sneaky side. If I ask him to give water to the dog, he pretends to. If I ask him to clean his room, he just shuts the door so I won't see it. If I tell him to come in, he decides that as soon as he's made the golf shot across the yard successfully, he will be glad to come in. He has big plans, but they have nothing to do with obeying mom, doing chores, or washing his hands.
So imagine the kick I got out of one of the library books he brought home this week- BIG PLANS. The entire thing is written in capital letters with an exclamation mark. This boy who is sitting in the corner at school, tells us about his BIG PLANS, BIG PLANS, I say! He starts by dressing snazzy and taking over the corporate world, shouting orders to everyone as he goes. He makes the winning pass of a pro football game and then the president calls and asks him to become his assistant. He talks the president right out of his job, orders the states to make a rocket ship and some space gear, and blasts into space to set things aright. And on every page he's shouting out orders and telling people he has BIG PLANS, BIG PLANS I SAY! At the end, the whole world knows about his big plans!
It's perfect for Owen. I don't even know if he gets the whole book, but I guess subconsciously he knew something was sounding very enticing. And somehow it gave me a little perspective on a 6 year old's brain. They're not anything like his parents' plans, but he has BIG PLANS, BIG PLANS, I SAY!
2 weeks ago
1 comment:
Wht was the point of the book? 6 year olds need to contol the universe to be sure everything is all right? BIG PLANS I SAY sounds like my kind of book too :)
rachel
Post a Comment