Friday, March 12, 2010

Things to Remember

There are so many things the boys say and do that I want to write down and remember! So here's a list for the past few months.

-Tonight I was remembering that one of them (I think Asher) a few months ago would ask often about our skin color. And as we would discuss the different colors of skin of people we know, he would always ask, "so why is our skin white and Papa's isn't?"

Huh? He always thought Aaron's skin was darker than ours. Should I explain sun exposure and 5 o'clock shadow now, or wait til later?

- About a month ago, Asher earned himself a spank. I told him what he did and told him he was getting a spank, and then told him to come over to me. He put his finger up and told me to wait a minute. He then folded his hands, bowed his head and I heard him whisper, "Dear God...."

I couldn't hear the rest (probably because of the amount of self-control it was taking for me not to laugh), so I asked him what he was doing, and he said he was praying it wouldn't hurt. A new definition for making all your requests known to God.

-I can't think of anything funny with Owen. I'll have to add later. Our latest development with him is that he was invited to a summer academy for "gifted" kids in a neighboring district. Only one student per class was invited, so it's kind of a big deal. I think. Is that what I'm dealing with- a gifted and talented child? I knew from his conferences that he's excelling in every subject. His challenge is behavior, which does not distract him from learning. It distracts the rest of the class from learning. He's chatty (wonder where he gets it) and wiggly. Too much energy. Maybe a little boredom. He gladly does his homework every night, and in his spare time, he asks to do workbooks. Seriously- the kids loves learning.

- Asher loves Jesus. Loves talking allll about him. He asked me one day about going to heaven and seeing Jesus, which I turned into a "let's pray for you to ask Jesus into your heart so you can go to heaven" moment, which he did! It was sweet.

-Lately he's been talking about Jesus dying on the cross (all of this info comes from preschool, which is hopefully piggy-backing on something he's heard at home). The other day he wanted to know who killed him, why they killed him, why his clothes were off, he noted that his face looked sad, etc. He is so interested! For days he will talk about Jesus. "Why does Jesus always pray for us?" "Are God and Jesus the same?"

-Today they watched a cartoon called Bible Man who talked about the armor of God. He talked about it ALL afternoon. You need the belt of truth so you don't lie. What are the shoes of the gospel (in the dr's office)? Does that guy have the sword of the Spirit? The whole world loves God. I don't think Owen was nearly as interested, so it's kind of funny to hear Asher talk all about God.

-So, Asher broke his foot. He was jumping off the ramp of the UHaul truck that Aaron was loading for Mimi and he must've landed wrong. The nurse's notes said, "patient fell off moving truck," which the dr. took to mean a truck was traveling and Asher took a flying leap off of it. I think he was disappointed our story wasn't better. Anyway, it's a tiny fracture, I couldn't see it on the xray until the dr showed me where it's shaped funny. Whatever. He's wearing a hard-soled boot so his foot will stay straight instead of bending for the next while. If I thought it was hard to have a fast-moving boy before, now I think it's hard to have a slow one.

No comments: