Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I Get A Vacation Adventure

Something fun happened in the world of Bethany today.

Lately I've been obsessed with North Carolina. It's like I see Raleigh or North Carolina everywhere I go, or someone mentions NC in our conversation. It's been happening for a couple of weeks. I even told Aaron I thought we should move there, because obviously God must be trying to tell me something.

At some point I realized that there is a women's speaking and writing conference in July held in NC. I've followed this conference for 3 years, each year wondering why I feel interested in it and what in the world I would do there. I knew registration had closed a few weeks ago, so I put it out of my mind for the 3rd year in a row that I would go.

Today I was watching a Bible study dvd with my friend Jill, and the speaker mentioned NC. I lamented to Jill that I can't get away from NC, and then I showed her the conference website. The other day I had decided to put my name on the waiting list, just in case.

She was instantly interested. She's been feeling like turning the story of Jonathan's birth and diagnosis (Down Syndrome and leukemia) into a book, but she needs some practical advice and encouragement. So we put her name on a waiting list too, and emailed to find out how long it was.

180 women, with only 5-10 bound to make it in.

So later while I was at the park sweating off a few pounds, she wrote the BEST email, describing her journey with Jonathan and why she felt God wanted her to come to this conference, with her friend Bethany. And guess what? The conference director couldn't resist and said ok!!

I just can't believe it.

I still don't know what I'm going to do there (well, I have an inkling, but that's it).

I can't afford it (it's over $500 for the conference. Jill's husband is buying my plane ticket).

But I figure if He got me this far, He can figure the rest of it out.

I'm going to North Carolina!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

How exciting! I really hope good things happen there for you. I cant wait to see whats unleashed!

Shanna said...

That sounds do fun!!

Musings of a Housewife said...

That is an AWESOME story! I can't wait to meet both of you!